7/27/11

The Infamous F Word


Feminist. The word itself sends chills down MANY people's spines, yet most really don't understand what a feminist truly is...

Let me rewind and briefly explain why my fingertips are deciding to write about this today. I, like many, am a full-time student that works on the weekends as a waitress part-time to make ends meet. Last weekend I had the privilege of waiting on two gentlemen for lunch who, coincidentally, strategically sat in the booth the way they that they would vote on a ballot - the liberal on the left and the conservative on the right. I know some of you are probably scratching your heads wondering how I came to the conclusion that one man was liberal and the other not so let me explain a little further. As the fellas were eating their lunch, I ended up leaning against their booth and engaging in a little conversation since it was slow at work. I'm not sure how it came up but I was asked what I am studying/what career path I'm pursuing. I explained that I am studying for my Master's in Political Social Work and ultimately see myself wanting to be on the front lines making a change for the better (so cliche but true, I swear!), whether it be in political office or not. Immediately after saying this, the gentleman on the right eagerly and sincerely said, "Well then! You must really like Michelle Bachman!". The look on my face must've explained it all because he continued to ask "No? You don't like her?". I didn't want to get into a political debate at work because it can be so exhausting with your customers (and it can hurt your tip of course..) so I simply said, "Not really. Just because she's a woman doesn't mean I agree with her. As a woman, I can't see myself voting for another woman who could potentially set us further back than we already are in this country." The liberal on the left let a smile cross his face. The conservative on the right let a scowl poison his. I continued by saying "I think this is the appropriate time to tell you that I'm on the Board for the CT chapter of NOW." The liberal nodded is head in acceptance and congratulated me. The conservative's response? "OHHH, SO YOU'RE A FEMINAZI! I GET IT!"

A feminazi? Are you serious? Simply because I said I'm on NOW's side? I was in shock..but not really. My own mother has recently called me a feminist with disdain on her tongue to family members at a BBQ! It's always surprised me, though, at just how quickly people (both men AND women) are to call me a feminist AND do it with disgust without even knowing or understanding what a feminist is.

Wikipedia defines feminism as "a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women." If fighting for equal pay, lobbying against budget cuts that affect women directly, and trying to push more ladies into office is a feminist, then HELL YES, I'M A FEMINAZI AND I AM SOOO PROUD!

Let me sign off by leaving you with these feminist tidbits I stumbled upon on this refreshingly politically incorrect blog that explains the rules of feminists/feminism:
  1. A feminist isn't someone who agrees with every woman on the basis that she is simply a woman.
  2. A feminist isn't necessarily a lesbian.
  3. A feminist isn't necessarily atheist, antichrist, or anyone else evil!
  4. A feminist doesn't want women to rule the world...just co-exist equally.
  5. A feminist isn't necessarily a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment