8/3/12

Expecting More


With all the talk and controversy about new Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer taking over the job in the middle of her pregnancy, here's a great story about Malaysian Olympic shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi, who is believed to be the most pregnant Olympian ever.

Mohd Taibi, who according to the following Washington Post article is 8 months pregnant with her first child, competed in the women's 10-meter air rifle at the London 2012 Olympics, and finished 34th out of 56.  Although she did not medal, she showed some perseverance, grit, and true determination, even having to block out her unborn daughter kicking during the qualifying round.

Congratulations to Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi on being an Olympian, and best of luck when her daughter is born, which is likely next month!

(The text of the article is here, and the original article is linked in the title.)

"Pregnant Olympian gets no medal, but will someday tell daughter of their London Games together

By Associated Press, Published: July 28

LONDON — Pregnant Olympic shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi didn’t win a medal, but she still will have quite a story to tell her daughter someday about their experience together at the London Games.

The Malaysian finished 34th out of 56 shooters in the women’s 10-meter air rifle on Saturday — all the more remarkable considering that the baby was kicking “three or four times” during the 75-minute qualifying round in which she was firing at a bulls-eye the size of a coin from 10 meters away.

“It didn’t put me off. I told her, ‘Behave yourself, be a good girl, be calm, and don’t move so much,’” Mohd Taibi said.

Did she listen?

“Yep, she always listens to me,” the 29-year-old mother-to-be said.

In less than seven weeks, if all goes well, she will give birth back home. On Saturday, Mohd Taibi was just glad she did not go into labor.

“I just prayed that I could get to a labor room in time,” she said. “I would accept it with an open heart. I am not a normal Mummy doing everything slowly.”

Mohd Taibi learned she was pregnant just days after qualifying for London. She and her husband have already named the girl Dayana Widyan, who is due on Sept. 13.

“I hope she’ll take part in sports,” Mohd Taibi said. “My blood is in her. Maybe she’ll be better than me.”

The gold medal was won by Yi Siling of China. Unheralded Polish soldier Sylwia Bogacka won the silver and Yu Dan of China earned the bronze. China became the first team since 1988 to have two medalists in the event.

“I did my best, but the range got the best of me today,” Mohd Taibi said. “My dream came true. I got to take part in the Olympics.”"

No comments:

Post a Comment