4/25/12

Parental Alienation Syndrome

This week I am blogging about a subject of interest to someone close to me and one that has become quite controversial lately called Parental Alienation Syndrome. Some believe it does not exit, but I believe my family has been suffering from it for the past few years. A close family member of mine that went through a divorce has been suffering from this. He is a great dad and did not cause the divorce at all, but the mother has totally turned the daughter against her dad for no reason, even to go so far as to lie to her about her father and make her feel guilty for spending time with him, when he has done nothing wrong. She as a child does not want her mother to abandon her so complies with everything her mother tells her. She wants to please her mother so she turns against her father when there is no other reason to do so. When my parents got divorced my father did this to my brother and I but not to the extreme in the case of my family member. He made us feel guilty about spending time with my mother and constantly tried to turn us against her. I couldn't see it then, because I was only a teenager but now looking back I see how wrong the situation was.

There are different levels of this syndrome you can find here with descriptions. I know it is thought by some organizations to be used as a legal defense for fathers in abuse cases, but I do think it is a credible syndrome that deserves to be recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment