5/7/10

Am I a "bad" feminist?

Ok, I have to be totally honest about this. I have read the Twilight series books (by Stephanie Meyer) multiple times and can't get enough of them. I'm one of those die-hard fans that sees the movie on opening day and wishes the book series never had to end. That said, I am a feminist and I do think these books send a bad, bad message to young women (teens in particular) about depending on men for happiness. I just saw the new movie New Moon and while I found it entertaining, that part of my brain that shoots up red flags at all things sexist, made me really wonder if somehow I'm being a "bad" feminist. The movie was full of examples of how the main character Bella just can't live without some male romantic interest (whether it be her vampire love or Jacob the werewolf). That is certainly a message that I don't agree with.

However, this topic really brings up a lot of feelings for me. As a young(er) feminist, under age 30, I think that it should be totally ok for me to like these books, and if anything, be glad that I have a feminist consciousness that allows me to not buy into some of these messages. So I put it out there to you, can someone still enjoy something that is outwardly sexist and still be a card-carrying feminist?


Here is a great article about the sexism of the Twilight series: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katherine-spillar/new-moon-same-old-sexist_b_367925.html

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/5/10

    Jennine
    jenninegorman@ymail.com
    69.118.161.157 2009/12/09 at 8:48 pm
    I don’t think you have anything to feel guilty about especially because the role portrays a teenager. If Bella were an adult woman who had no other self validation other than her mate, that would be pathetic. Most of us have felt the same way Bella portrays herself in the movie when our hearts were first broken. As we matured in our careers, professional/personal pursuits and our family…heartbreak takes a super back seat.

    ReplyDelete